ahmed

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Brand's Loyalty


Okay guys, sorry for not updating my blog for a long time. That's because I'm busy at work and I have a lot to do for next year..I'm doing this so I wouldn't get fired. huh ;)

Anyways,there is this story I heard from my fellow co-workers and it's about brand's loyalty.
Of course, all of us like certain brands. We buy them on regualr basis, recommend these brands to our friends and family and sometimes we cannot switch them to other brands. Here, at that stage we call that "brand loyalty".
This is an interesting story about brands loyalty..read it and give me your opinion..

Once, A very known company , let's call it X, was shooting a commercial ad. So everyone were there, the company's marketing managers, Advertising agency directors, casting (models for the ad) and others.

During the shoot, one of the ad director's assistants started to drink a Cola dink. And it was the strongest competitor to company X. The marketing manager saw him, then he sent one of his assistants to talk to this guy (who doesn't respect the idea that company X is shooting one of it's ad's and he is drinking a competitor's drink). Anyway, the assistant went and talked to him in a polite way. the other guy refused to stop drinking that drink (he said that this is his personal freedom and he can drink whatever he wants). Then, the marketing manager went to this guy by himself, and they had this conversation:

MKT manager: excuse me, your are drinking Y in this area which is not acceptable. If you wanna drink, you can go somewhere but at least don't show everyone of what you are doing..

Assistant: But I believe that this is my personal freedom and I wanna drink whatever I want whenever I want..this has nothing to do with business..

MKT manager: Listen, I'm paying for all this (he meant the shooting, I remember that it was like $300,000 only for the production). So If you are insisting, at least respect our feelings and don't drink this in fron of us..

The assistant left the location. company X STILL didn't pay the ad director part of his money ($ 20,000)!!

So..What do you think?

8 Comments:

  • I don't get it :P
    anyways.. I am rooting for Coke!!

    By Blogger Nouph, at 1:18 AM  

  • lool why I'm having this bad feeling what NO BODY will get it :P

    By Blogger ahmed, at 6:10 PM  

  • i can understand that loyalty ,, comes only from using a certain brand for a long long time ,, ofcourse everybody wants to have new things from new brands but somehow we just stick to what we know better ,,

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 PM  

  • bb: thats true..there was an interesting research I read long time ago..the reasearch was conducted on females in the States; age range from 25-40. The research contained one question; what is your most favourite brand which if you didn't find it in a supermarket, you would leave that supermarket and go to another one..
    Interestingly, it was Tide, the washing detergent. Hence, the aim of all brands is to be like Tide, which has its loyalty in the consumers minds.

    welcome to my blog:)

    By Blogger ahmed, at 4:11 PM  

  • Someone did get it afterall ;)

    By Blogger Nouph, at 4:14 AM  

  • ahmed I have been reading that recent studies show that the kids in this generation have zero loyalty to brands and that they are liable to jump ship on you in any minute.

    No what the manager did of not paying the guy his money was stupid, imagine a shoot for Calvin Klien underwear and a marketing manger going over and making sure everybody was wearing the same brand. Now X has no rights in this matter unless they do a little marketing of their own and they make a few cans of the drink freely available to the Ad team, that way they don't need to worry about someone drinking the competition.

    By Blogger T, at 6:31 PM  

  • oh yeah sorry, wanted to add nice blog man.

    By Blogger T, at 6:31 PM  

  • Hi talal..welcome to my page :)

    Yes I would agree with you that kids are no more loyal to any brand unless it gives them something in return.For example, some marketers now are trying to communicate the fun aspect to their brands. They reposition their brands in the mind of their consumers. I guess this is why we see a LOT of promotions going on and on.. On the other hand we rarely do see branding activities. Kids are buying certain brands so they can get a prize, they are not buying the brand because they like "love" that brand.

    Okay, imagine that you are a manager for the potato chips "Pringles" and you saw one guy in your advertising agency eating another potato chips "Lays" WHILE you are producing an ad for your brand. Wouldn't you go to that guy and tell him nicely that he shouldn't having this chips NOW in front of you? In fact, I would do that :D

    By Blogger ahmed, at 1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home